What is the best flooring material for radiant heat?
People ask me all the time, ‘Bill, why is luxury vinyl plank or LVP flooring material so common in a tiny house?’. There are several excellent reasons for this.
1. Homebuilders, remodelers, and tile installers are very familiar with the benefits of this type of flooring material.
Using LVP makes flooring remodels streamlined because they stick to one type of flooring with a multitude of design looks for their clients. Additionally, it is much easier to pull up this kind of material because the vinyl planks or tile come right up, and a new floating floor can go in.
One of the great things about installing luxury vinyl plank or tile is that you don’t have to have a perfect subfloor. LVP is very forgiving of minor imperfections in the subfloor.
2. It is a selling feature.
People are used to seeing LVP flooring material, and that is attractive to home buyers.
3. Installing LVP doesn’t waste material.
Unlike laying linoleum flooring, LVP clicks together around cabinets and fixtures, which means no material is wasted.
4. Luxury vinyl is waterproof.
5. This flooring material is suitable for virtually any room in the house.
7. Vinyl plank and tile work great with electric radiant floor heat!
Gold Heat’s, Black Gold floor heat product is a low-profile heating film that lies safely and durably underneath the LVT material for a minimal flooring stack up – adding just 1/16″ to the total flooring stack up.
8. Installing Black Gold under LVP is a breeze when the only materials you need for the install is:
– The Black Gold kit with thermostat and install template included
– Spray adhesive
– A friction barrier
How thin is thin?
The Black Gold floor stack up
Black Gold radiant floor heat film runs on a standard 120 or 240V line power – just 15W per square foot. And if you think that Black Gold is a power hog, guess again! Because you don’t need to install as much Black Gold floor heat material as you may think.
– Black Gold is available in 10″ or 20″ widths
– The heating film is pre-terminated – cold leads available in 10′, 15′, and 20′ lengths.
– A Black Gold radiant floor heat system will work off-grid.
– Black Gold is safe to lay under sheet vinyl, linoleum, laminate, and carpet.